The abbreviated but compelling series is an audience favorite. Based on the books of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle of over a century ago, the character, Sherlock Holmes, and his companion in sleuthery, Dr. Watson, are the main characters played by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Sherlock Season 4 consists of the same amount of episodes as the first three seasons—three hour and a half episodes. Each episode is created as a mini-movie, so they can either be viewed in succession or individually.
With the wait between each season of this series at an average of two years, season 4 of Sherlock is no exception this. Now the latest installation of Sherlock was finally released January 1st in the United Kingdom and the United States. Netflix has scheduled the release of Sherlock Season 4 some time in June of 2017.
Sherlock Season 4
Release Date on Netflix: January 1st, 2017
Director: Benjamin Caron
Runtime: 1 hour 28 minutes
Season’s IMDb Rating: 8.4
Season’s Rotten Tomatoes Score: 64%
Plot: Very mysterious secrets locked away for many years come to the forefront for Sherlock and his brother, Mycroft Holmes. In the process of finding them out, Sherlock Holmes reunites with people he would rather forget who have been playing a long-standing game with him, and others who he did not know still existed. The main characters, Sherlock, Dr. Watson, and Mary Watson, along with supporting cast characters Mycroft Holmes and Mrs. Hudson have all returned and are played by the same actors who originated the roles: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Amanda Abbington, Mark Gatiss, and Una Stubbs, respectively.
• Many of the crew on the set are related: Sherlock’s parents are Benedict Cumberbatch’s real parents, Amanda Abbington and Martin Freeman are partners in real life as well, and the producer, Sue Moffat, is writer Steve Moffat’s wife.
• Sherlock’s signature phrase, “the game is on” is a contemporary version of f Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s phrase, “The game is afoot”, which Doyle lifted from Shakespeare in the play “Henry V.”
• The façade of the address used for Sherlock’s residence is actually 187 North Gower Street, London NW1.
• Benedict Cumberbatch and Mark Gatiss both dye their hair black to play the Holmes brothers. They are actually both naturally ginger-haired.
• Sherlock Holmes actually does not “deduce” the outcome of the mystery. Sherlock is actually practicing “abductive reasoning.”
Fans of the Sherlock Holmes season can expect some “old friends” to come back onto the scene. There will also be more of a familial element to this season, with Mycroft and Sherlock coming together to settle old wounds; hence, “The Final Problem.”
Sherlock Holmes Season 4 Episode Guide
Sherlock Season 4 Episode 1 The Six Thatchers ( UK & US air date Jan. 1, 2017)
Sherlock Season 4 Episode 2 The Lying Detective (UK & US air date Jan. 8, 2017)
Sherlock Season 4 Episode 3 The Final Problem (UK & US air date Jan. 15, 2017)
The actual release dates for television were:
UK: January 1, 2017
Netherlands: Limited release on January 15, 2017
Slovakia: January 15, 2017
Ukraine: January 15, 2017
France: March 30, 2017
United States: January 1, 2017
Is Sherlock Season 4 on Netflix?
Season 4 of Sherlock is available on all Netflix markets.
With Season 4 Sherlock on the brink of release from Netflix, you can now have access to all four seasons of Sherlock on Netflix and have a marathon sitting of Sherlock and Dr. Watson solving mysteries, or watch each season in random order to and get a the feel that the producers and director wanted viewers to have of each episode, including Sherlock Season 4, as being mini-movie spectaculars. If you want to find out more about this TV show, check out our guide to the availability of Sherlock on Netflix!